Last Thursday I went to the cinema to watch “On the Basis of Sex”.
Within the first 10 minutes I was in a rage.
By the 30 minute mark I was in tears.
This amazing true life story centers around a white lawyer & her early influence anti-sexism legislation in the US. It’s a brilliant film. Watch it.
I left the cinema reflecting on where we are TODAY as women…
I personally don’t live in a world where OVERT sexism is common place. But that doesn’t mean the legacy of its presence doesn’t linger.
I might hold the privilege of living in a near-equatable society. But not every woman is so lucky.
And when we scratch the surface, there are still A LOT OF SUPPRESSIVE ideas, beliefs & practices that persecute the feminine.
At one point in the film the lead, Ruth, surmises why she won’t be hired as a lawyer (despite graduating top of her class)…
- The other wives will get jealous
- She’ll be too emotional
- She won’t be tough enough
- She might decide to have a baby thus ‘stalling her career’
- And at one point a noticeable glance is given to her breasts…
I’m curious to know…
- Do you sometimes feel like you have to compete with other women?
- Are you ever told (or fear) you’re too emotional?
- Do you ever worry your sensitive nature might be perceived as weakness?
- Does the idea of always moving forward in a linear way feel foreign (because maybe you want to move in intuitive, cyclic ways instead)?
- Do you feel that your genuine sensuality & pleasure are shamed or unwelcome by the world?
The subtle fears & doubts speak to a common persecution that transcends sex or gender identity. They are the shame of the FEMININE.
Every human, irrespective of their gender identity, contains 50% feminine, yin, flowing energy. It will manifest uniquely in each of our bodies, but the traits of the feminine are universal…
- Collaboration instead of competition – like mother nature
- Emotional fluidity – rather than head-based logic
- Sensitivity & depth – as a superpower rather than a curse
- Cyclic, non-linear decision-making & growth – rather than predictable production
- Sensuality as an inherently beautiful quality that is a source of power – not shame or taboo
We live in a world that increasingly holds women as equal-or-close-to.
But we live in a world that still SHAMES the feminine.
Every individual has work to do in dismantling the reside of this feminine-suppression.
It’s the work of re-claiming our feminine fuel.
As I left the cinema last week, I felt re-ignited & re-invigorated to take my own dismantling & reclaiming to the next stage.
So I’ve put together a new, free 5-day challenge called FEMININE FUEL.
Enter your details below to join.
It’s for women & those who identify as ‘her’ to redefine how we can embody a deeper relationship with our feminine pleasure & power.
We begin Friday, April 19th.